Sadly, she was run over, much to everyone's distress.When we first moved here, Alison would arrive home with a new cat, always black, usually bad-tempered. George would lay in wait on the kitchen chair and slash at you as you walked past. Russell had a fondness for chocolate cake and it took me some time to realise it wasn't Stuart (protesting his innocence!) helping himself to the corner of the chocolate cake left out to cool on the kitchen bench.
They were all hunters and would arrive home with feathered and furry gifts.
Unluckily, they were most adept at catching scaley gifts. The Red -Belly Black snake thrashing around the kitchen floor wasn't gift we appreciated.
None of these cats stayed with us very long. They became the hunted and each of them died of snake-bite.
For the last fifteen years we haven't had a cat and none of the neighbours have cats either - their cats all met their end with a snake, too!
What a difference it has made to the bird population! You might have time to check out the blog I've started of the birds that visit our yard. As I write there is a galah having an argument with a couple of Rosellas in the feeder and a King Parrot in the tree waiting his turn.
And I haven't seen a snake for ages......

4 comments:
Your Cat painting is lovely! The story about the cats and what happened to them is just a memorable.
After our cat of 13 years passed away we decided that we wouldn't have another cat(for similar reasons to yours except for the snakes). We now have a wonderful West Highland White Terrier named Winston who is turning 7 years old on September 1 who has been charming us all this time. I need to find a photo of Lucy our old cat and do her for the challenge. Hum...
I loe this simple, sweet drawing of the cat. Well done!
The watercolor is lovely.
Love this cat, looks so sweet and innocent. Cats are cats whether we like it or not. I have had many, and lost many, but to coyotes around here. Very interesting blog, I will stop back in!!
Post a Comment